Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Everyone has a different definition of a hero.  For some they may be professional athletes or individuals who save or protect lives.  I must admit through my life not only have my heroes changed but my definition of a hero has changed more than once but always seems to be more refined and well thought out as I grow older.  One consistent hero has been Dad.  Like most boys I saw my Dad as Zeus; strong, wise and ever present.  My Dad was also a career police officer which doesn't hurt in the hero category.  He passed several years ago at too young of an age and I still miss him.  I can honestly say that he still helps me face my daily challenges.  My memory of him and the time we spent together plays a role in who I am today and how I cope with all the modern challenges that men and fathers face.

Today, a new hero has refined my definition of hero even further.  My hero has never had anything easy.  From day one he has struggled, fought and battled his way to another day. Faced with more than I have ever faced or even imagined possible for another human being he continues to be an angel amidst an environment not meant for the weak.  He brings light where there is darkness, hope where there could be hopelessness, patience where there is not enough time, peace where there is chaos, and more love where I thought love was full.  My hero fights for his every breath and every movement.  To him what we all take for granted is like climbing Mt. Everest every minute of every day.  I thank God every day for placing this hero in my life. He is my son and he is my hero.  

Jake

2 comments:

The Leman Family said...

Happy fathers day!
We love you!

Anonymous said...

Oh Jake your dad would be so very proud of what a wonderful dad you are. Have a wonderful fathers day and God Bless you all !! Joe and Nancy