Thursday, February 26, 2009

What is the #1 rule of the universe?

DON'T PANIC!

Now let me tell you about our day...Align Center
Due to fog, Garrett had the day off of school.  So we got to spend the day together!  We worked out together this morning and then Garrett put his laundry away, took out the trash, fed the dog, and made his bed while I bathed, fed, and dressed Nicolas!  He was a great help this morning but this afternoon he really stepped up to the plate!
After we got cleaned up, we headed to the Angola Outlets to make a quick return.  I carried Nicolas into the store...because this was going to be brief... while waiting for the sales person to give me my receipt to sign i asked Garrett to hold Nicolas....which being the good brother that he is, he said, "sure!"  BUT the lady was taking longer than she should and Garrett started to get tired...Nicolas is quite heavy...so he had to hand him back to me.  During the exchange I felt a warm liquid start to ooze all over my hand.  I looked down and said, "close his button Garrett, it came open and is leaking"...But on further inspection realized it had come OUT....THE ENTIRE FEEDING TUBE HAD COME OUT!!!!!!  
My initial reaction....PANIC...
I laid him down and immediately tried to put it back in...which is impossible...
...because there is a water balloon on the end of the feeding tube which anchors it into the tummy... To put it back in you have to empty the water out of the balloon using a syringe...reinsert the feeding tube into Nicolas...then put the water back in....
Well at the moment...
My mind was going a mile a minute and yet all I remember is...
This isn't supposed to be OUT...It's supposed to be IN!
And all that was coming out of my mouth was...
O my gosh...O my gosh...O my gosh....O my gosh....O my gosh...
Then a women came over and said I'm a nurse...and I thought to myself, me too! (HA--not really)  Well everything clicked and I remembered I had everything I needed in the diaper bag which was in the car.  So I gave Garrett my keys and told him to go get the diaper bag.  He brought it in and the nurse held Nicolas down on the table while I reinserted the feeding tube.
After that...I bought Nicolas a new outfit...dressed him...cleaned up the very sour smelling formula that was all over their cash register area...
Said thanks and we walked out the door!

So #1 rule....DON'T PANIC!
And I must say...Garrett was amazing!  He didn't miss a beat...he was focused and calm!
I was shaking so bad that I could barely sign the receipt!
I'm so glad he was there with me!

What a day!

4 comments:

The Leman Family said...

That is just amazing!!!! I would of panic and started screaming at everyone. Maybe even had major tears flowing.

Great job you two!!!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness! Seriously...you're amazing. I would've started crying first thing and then had to try to see through my tears to do it all...it would've been a mess!

Anonymous said...

God puts babies in the right arms!!!
You continue to amaze me!
Love you all,
Terry

Anonymous said...

WOW! That story was intense! God is good isn't He? I have to say, the way that all worked out...it was no one but Him! Hey, He's got yo back and He's always watching you. AND...not to mention...

Way to go Garrett!!! You are so awesome! You are such a strong young boy...and so responsible! (you get it from your mom) :-)

He's an "on time" God!
Love you & take care,
~Kia~